Wednesday, October 26, 2011

October 25th, 1961

Fort Holabird, MD


October 25, 1961

My Very Dearest Joan

I love you. These three little words , too often repeated words, are unfortunately the only way I know how of expressing my feelings in writing. I have no other unusual way, manner or form. When it come to emotions I can’t find the phrases or the originality. My only resources consist of holding you in my arms and kissing you, caressing you and being good to you and trying, with all my heart to make you happy.

There are times also , when I am very selfish . I want you to enjoy the same music as I... to feel as I do about a million things. And most important of all, to love me as I love you. How often do I think of you during the day; at night; and even in my sleep. I can’t keep track anymore. The days of the week are one long dream of you and when I wake Saturday and you are soon in my arms I feel as though the only thing in my life which keeps me going is my very own Joan.

When I see you this weekeend I’ll be at a loss for words again. I’ll tell you how much I love you but I will never be able to say the proper words or to really make you understand. . To hold you in my arms forever is my only wish , my sole desire and perhaps my only goal in life right now. Does that make any sense?

Well my little doll, I must say goodnight for now. There are many jobs to do and they will all be filled with thoughts of you. I ask but one kindness… please love me back as much as I love you.

For Eternity, I shall always be yours,

Alberto.

The written word is so powerful but when he said it , it was magic. He was one of those guys with a deep sexy voice and people often commented on it. And when he spoke to me romantically in Spanish, even though I had no idea what he was saying , I would melt. One time , when he he called me to recite a lovely piece of Spanish poetry , I was enthralled, only to later find out he was reading me a recipe for chocolate cake! There are a few recordings left of that beautiful voice. I listen to them every once in a while but the voice is still in my head,   How I miss the daily " How Are You ?" calls.

WHAT WAS HAPPENING IN THE WORLD?

The peanuts cartoon for the day:




Oct. 25, 1961 – Artist Norman Rockwell, whose illustrations have captured the essence of American values for generations, married for the third time in a Massachusetts ceremony today.

On 25 October 1961, American and Soviet tanks faced off against each other at the Friedrichstrasse border crossing used by foreign nationals (Checkpoint Charlie), because GDR border guards had attempted to check the identification of representatives of the Western Allies as they entered the Soviet sector. In the American view, the Allied right to move freely throughout all of Berlin had been violated. For sixteen hours, the two nuclear powers confronted each other from a distance of just a few meters, and the people of that era felt the imminent threat of war. The next day, both sides withdrew. Thanks to a diplomatic initiative by America's President Kennedy, the head of the Soviet government and communist party, Nikita Khrushchev, had confirmed the four-power status of all of Berlin, at least for now.


It was a scary time and he was going there. It frightened me a lot that he might be in harm's way.
Saw this movie last night.  Somehow I was part of the cast. Read  from the Great WW I letters section.

http://passchendaelethemovie.com/



In Love.  there is only one rule...Don't Die.

No comments: