Thursday, October 13, 2011

October 13, 1961

PLEASE REMEMBER we are  2 Twenty-two year olds .

October , Friday the 13th, 1961


Long Island City, NY

My Dearest E-1,

As you can see by the above date, today is the day of ill-omen and I sure got mine in the form of a letter saying that I won’t be seeing you this weekend. My bubble is burst and I am miserable all because there are two hands I won’t be holding, two lips I won’t be kissing and one “being” who won’t be near me. Tomorrow night you’ll call and I’ll tell you again how miserable I am, that I miss you and you’ll say you love me and will be home next weekend, but the next two days will last forever and then be tucked away with all the future days when we will be apart.

This letter will not be cluttered with exchanges of bits of little information, but it will exist only to try to tell you how much I love you. I love you because you make me feel alive, alive in the sense that I am vulnerable to the joys and pains of love. For a long time before we met I felt as though I lived in a vacuum, unable to be moved by another again. But you have overwhelmed me and I “feel” again. I am drunk with love, I am saturated and I hope I never become sober, never see the “morning-after” dawn.

What is there to say that will not make me out to be a love-sick cow? Sugar-plum Albertos are dancing in my head and I love him passionately, tenderly, sweetly and bitterly, all in the same heartbeat. If there was ever anything which I desired and received, it was but a dream of you.

All my love, now and for as long as you desire me, and even after then,

Joan

It was very serious. We were starting to realize that he would be gone for a long time and leave would not enable him to come home for even a short visit. I was truly miserable without him. People were preparing bomb shelters and there was a sense of urgency and threat from Communism. I was not the only one waiting for letters. See the number 2 song below. Guys had a choice of enlisiting and cutting a deal or waiting for the draft. He had enlisted. My personal opinion is they never should have done away with the draft. Maybe it might have cut down on the number of nighly videos I see of poor young guys with no direction holding up convenience stores and drive by shootings in the "hood"

NEXT UPDATE OCT 16.
WHAT WAS HAPPENING:

Number 2 song:   Please Mr Postman by the Marvellettes


Here is the Carpenter's  Version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-oNDMTXO4&feature=fvwrel


The Hot Grill opens in Clifton, New Jersey, celebrating "50 Years of All The Way". This could lead to a blog  about why New Jersey is the "Diner Capitol" of the world and my brother Marty is the main investor in keeping diners alive and well wherever he is..

 The Hot Grill


Below  is Marty's haunt  in Scotch Plains. Been there for many a good meal and family time. Marty actually has a reserved parking spot even though he is married to one of the best cooks around.

http://www.scotchwooddiner.com/


The Twilight Zone: "A Game of Pool " airs,  Game of Pool" is an episode of the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone. According to Serling, it's "the story of the best pool player living and the best pool player dead."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrd-0673SOI

( I just realized I can include videos in my blog. Things may get very interesting. )

The comic books were still going strong:

I didn't know there was a BAT DOG


Wait a minute
Wait a minute
Wait a minute
Wait a minute
(Mister Postman)
Mister Postman, look and see
(C'mon deliver the letter, the sooner the better)

2 comments:

Rennie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rennie said...

And 3 years later...to the day...your love child would be born!