Monday, October 10, 2011

October 10th, 1961

10 Oct. 61

Ft. Holabird, Md.

My Dearest “Prisoner of Zelda”

 12:30   I write to you from a hospital bed as the labors of love have taken a grave toll. I am in deep despair for I fear I’ve a fatal illness, LOVE.

            Actually I feel fine (great) and I’m not in any hospital bed, as you probably guessed. Just feel like being corny. Things have been going pretty smooth here. We had a test  (te quiero) in combat intelligence today and I earned a cool 91. Third in the class behind a 93 and a 92.

17:00   I don’t feel so good now. I just came back from chow and ( te adoro) I found out that I have P&P Saturday. I won’t be able to be with you but I will call you about 19:00 hours. I love you. It’s been 49 hours since I last saw you and I am going crazy already. I miss you something awful. I spoke to my mother yesterday and found out that she had a party planned for my sister’s birthday Saturday. She asked me to bring you along. I love you.

            Today we started to do some introductory work in our specialty. We got instruments of all kinds besides a few lectures and ( te amo) some practical work, most of which was easy. Tomorrow we start doing some drafting and math, a very simple type used to measure distances and objects in photos, as simple as possible. We learn to use special type of slide rule which I haven’t figured out yet.

            Well sweetheart, I can’t think of any more idiotic phrases to scribble down so I’ll relieve you of this agony and finish here.Take care of your cold and be sure to see a doctor. Give my best to Marty, Mickey, Mom and Dad and last but not least ( although the littlest) Bambi. Thank your Mom and Dad for having such a wonderful girl to turn over to me.

    Love Always,
   Your Superman,
   Alberto



Prisoner of Zelda is a take off on Prisoner of Zenda which is what I was when I was with him. He wouldn't let me out of his sight.
Not sure what P & P meant at that time. Some military term not used any more.


It was the beginning of always missing him and wishing he was with me.

Next letter October 13th.

WHAT WAS HAPPENING?

The Yanks won the World Series
Top Song: Run Around Sue by Dionn. Unlike the song, neither one of us would ever run around again.

Top Movie: Splendor in the Grass is released. I was living it.

1 comment:

Rennie said...

He was SOOOO corny! Trying to be Rico Suave! So cute! Man I miss him!